Sunday, October 9, 2011


It has been a CRAZY week! Probably the craziest of my life! I have laughed and cried harder than ever. My heart has felt full and loved and then empty and broken.

Last Tuesday Fletcher woke up and was very fussy. He seemed like he couldn't get comfy and my Mommy instincts kicked  in. I took his temp and it was 100.3. The pediatritian told us that 100.4 was a fever in a I called her office to see what if anything we sould do. She told us to take him to the emergency room. She told us that we would probably be staying a few days so I should pack a bag. I hung up the phone and my heart broke. I just held my baby and cried. Jonathon ran home from work and helped me pack. We rushed up the the hospital and the tests began. They drew blood, put a cathater in him for a urine sample, took a chest xray, swabbed him for a flu test and an rsv test. It was hard to watch. The Lord provided an Awesome ER doctor. All of his tests came back clear  so they gave him a round of antibiotics in an IV and sent us home (8 hours later).

We got home and Fletcher seemed back to normal. He was eating and sleeping and back to his normal self. So we hung out the next few days and he was fine. He never got a fever again or got fussy. I thought everything was great!

Friday morning we had a followup appointment with his pediatritian. She said she looked over his tests and there was a bacterial infection in his blood but that the round of antibiotics probably got rid of it. She was upset thar the ER doctor didn't do a spinal tap on Fletcher (I was not upset at all bc I was a little scared of it). SHe said that he looked good and was going to give him some antibiotics for him to take for a week just to be sure. So we left her office and thought everything was great.

We went to lunch and went back home to take a nap. I noticed that I had a missed call so I checked my voicemail and it was the doctors office. They wanted me to call them back immediately. So I called and talked to the doctor. She said that she was uneasy about letting us go home and she really wanted Fletcher to have a spinal tap. She said that we needed to go back to the ER to get a spinal tap and that we would be staying for a week so Fletch could get antibiotics in an IV. I started crying on the phone with her. I was upset and confused and scared! I didn't understand why we needed to go back to the hospital. Fletcher was fine and back to normal.

I called my parents and told them what was going on...and they were in the car in about 15 minutes. I called my sister and she said she would come up for the week to help. I just sat and cried. It felt like God was just giving me a big hug and telling me that it was going to be ok. I have the BEST family. They are so loving and supportive. So after a few minutes of crying, we packed up everything I would need for the next week and headed back to the ER. And the tests began...again. This time they had to do a spinal tap.

They had to move us to the PICU in Monroe. I cried. I didn't want to be so far away from Molly and Jonathon. When we got to Monroe, they did more tests...and another spinal tap. All of his tests came back clear, but we still had to stay the week to make sure the infection was gone.

It was a loooong week in the hospital. It was hard being there at night by myself...especially for the 4am feedings!  It was hard being away from Molly. It was hard not being able to leave the room. It was lonely. But the Lord provided! He gave me the BEST nurses. My sister came up every day to hang out with me. Jonathon came up every night to bring me supper. And Jonathon's mom came up one day to sit with Fletcher so Jonathon and I could go out to eat.

This was probably one of the hardest and lonliest times of my life, but it was also a time when I felt most loved!


misti said...

Oh my goodness, Keri! Hate y'all had to go through that; it sucks so bad seeing your little one in the hospital with crap hooked up to them! So glad he is fine and healthy. God is good! Hope you are doing great and adjusting to life with two babies!!

Penny said...

Oh, Keri, how awful! I'm glad he's better now, but I know that had to be heartbreaking. Thank God we have wonderful nurses and doctors, though, who are dedicated to taking care of your sweet baby!